Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Apples Apples, Fall is on it's way!

I know that here where we live it was about 104 today. Way to hot for a Sept. labor day weekend...But none the less...it is the perfect time to pick apples and that's just what we did. Drove up to Oak Glen (which by the way is the most charming country town in the mountains you'll ever see) and we were ready to pick apples. We got up there and though it was still warm the air smelled fresh and the tress were so beautiful in all there color. Really nothing like being out of the city!!! So we grabbed our baskets and bags and went to the fields were we spent about 30 minutes picking raspberries and another 30 minutes pulling all kinds of apples from the trees. You know when you pick fruit it truly become a personal thing. I have total respect for the apple tress and raspberries because I picked them and kinda have ownership over them. While I was up there I thought "wouldn't life be some much easier for me if all my food was grown fresh like this"..No don't worry I am not going to become farmer Jane on you, but my mind was racing about all the wonderful things I could make my son with all this great fresh fruit. So as we pulled into the country store there, they were selling amazing apple pies and cobblers (all of which have oats and flour) DANG!!! Really a bummer until I realized that i could make something just as good and easier than making a pie. SO.... the old classic Baked Apple popped in my head and I was so happy. When was the last time you had an amazing Baked apple that melted in your mouth and was full of all the flavors of an apple pie but without all the guilt and flour! So as I am typing my apples are baking and when they are done I am going to put a nice big scoop of homemade ice-cream( without eggs) on top and sprinkle with a touch of cinnamon and Oh la la.. Heaven. I will also try a spelt crumb topping soon for a tasty apple crisp. In the meantime. Get you family around, core some apples, get all kinds of great topping to stuff them with and let them make there own apple treat. You family will be eating healthy, and guilt free and you will have minimual work to do and clean up is a breeze.

****Munchie of the Day*****

Take your apples and cut out the core. Take a baking dish and line with foil, place a small amount of apple juice or water in the bottom of the pan. Create a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Put a dollop of butter in the cennter of the apple and then stuff mixture in the hole. Set oven to 350 and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until apples are soft. you can also add pecans, raisins etc to the center. Take the apples out when done and spoon juices over the apple. Placeon a dish and serve with ice-cream. you'll need a spoon to scoop out all the amazing apple pie filling that the apple creates. Let me know how you make yours and how you enjoy them.

Munch on this::: When life gives you apples....BAKE!!!


Enjoy and Eat Well, Rima

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could have joined you picking apples. Kalani says he had a great time, although it was super hot! It was hot here in Burbank too! So no difference :)

    The apple crumble was breakfast today.. love it. Thanks so much for taking him with you guys.
    Love your new site! I will try some of your recipes.. because they just sound great.

    xo

    ReplyDelete