Search This Blog

Friday, September 17, 2010

Coffee Cake me Please!!!!

Wow, the weather seems like it finally might start to take a turn for Fall and I can't wait. Fall is what I look forward too. I love the colors, the smells of vanilla and pumpkin in the kitchen and mostly I love coffee cake and a great big cafe latte. Seriously what could be better. Well maybe some chocolate. Speaking of chocolate. Ghiradelli hot cocoa has no corn or wheat or nothing that my son is allergic to and we are in cocoa heaven. I also took pure chocolate chips the other day and melted them in a bowl with a tab bit of milk to make a quick and easy chocolate sauce to pour over my son's vanilla frozen yogurt (by Alden's) and yum!!! I topped it off with some fresh bananas and he wasn't missing a eat. Alden's frozen yogurt has no corn or eggs, but watch out because their ice-cream has eggs and some cornstarch. Best to stick with the vanilla bean frozen yogurt. It is light and fluffy and has the same texture as ice-cream. You can get it at most whole foods, but I also food it at my Costco store. I also bought an ice-cream maker and I make killer homemade vanilla ice-cream so you can go that route too. Whatever you choose to make just Remember that a little time in the kitchen making it fresh goes a long way all day!!!!!!

***Munchie of The Day***
Sour cream coffee cake. Remember that you can use whatever flours you like (if you are gluten free or not), also I substitute eggs for boiled flaxseed. Seriously your guests will never know that they are eating something so good for them!!!

Cake batter:
2 cups flour ( I use Pamela's baking mix)
1 cup sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
1 tsp pure vanilla
2/3 cup butter (softened)
2 tbls flaxseed to 1/2 cup water, boil and whisk to make eggy consistency or 2 eggs
1 cup sour cream

(mix together and set aside)

Filling: 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar (I use organic w/ no corn)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (optional). I usually leave out but it gives it a moist touch
( Mix all together)

Place 1/2 batter in pre-greased cake pan.. I use a spring-form pan for easy release, you can also use a bundt pan. Then sprinkle 1/2 mixture over batter and then spread the last part of the batter over that and sprinle again with left over topping. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

Take out and let cool. The make a glaze from 1 cup organic powdered sugar (no cornstarch)
2-3 tbls water 3/4 tsp vanilla. Mix together till creamy and drizzle all over the top of the cake. YUM!!!! Enjoy...

Munch on this:: thank you can go a long way and truly make someone's day.

Enjoy and Eat well, Rima

No comments:

Post a Comment