Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Measurements and Substitutions.

So, it was a great but long weekend and we as a family had to make some decisions with our lives that would play a big role in our activities for the future. Basically, we need to substitute one thing for another. I know that they outcome will be just what we need but sometimes giving up what we are so accustomed to is hard. While I was thinking about our schedules of life, I also thought about the fact that all I do all day is find good or great substitutes for cooking so that my son can eat with many different and fabulous options. I realize that some of you reading my blog like looking at my fun finds, others of you like the recipes, some of you are wanting to make healthy life changes in your eating and our trying out some of these foods and some of you have one or more of the food allergies my son has. I thought that maybe I could help all of you enjoy this blog more by defining what substitutes you can make and also letting you know that if you have no allergies you can make these recipes with regular flour (though it is not as nutritious for you) and also with egg, corn etc.
So.
For eggs: I use 2 tbls flaxseed and boil with 1/2 cup water. I then whisk it quickly as it comes to a boil and it develops an eggy consistency.
For Flour: I replace with Spelt flour or use a mix like Pamela's Baking mix or King Arthurs flour
For cornstarch: I use tapioca flour as a thickener
For Oats: I use nothing ( i just stay away from Oats
For nuts: I use Almond Butter instead of peanut butter and any other nuts are good to eat or bake with. (just no peanuts)
For tortillas: i buy spelt tortillas at Sprouts, also brown rice tortillas at trader Joes but the Spelt one's are much softer and better for quesidillas.
Hopefully this will help you all in the future. You can take any of my recipes and replace my items with what you can eat. But I encourage you to try some of these recipes if you have time. you will feel better.

Munch on This: Change is better when you least expect it!

No comments:

Post a Comment