Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A new way of Thinking.

As October is ready to begin and I start to pull out the Halloween decorations, I started thinking about what the holiday brings with it. Yes, that's right, when we think of Halloween, we think of candy!!! I immediately started thinking of the fact that all candy has corn and even wheat in it!!! So... since we have become a "candy-free" house because of all the stuff or should I say "junk" in it, I need to rethink what we can have in the house that will be good and of course yummy for my son to eat from now till the holidays. Well, a couple of great and tasty alternatives to the gummy bears, almond joy, SweetTarts etc, would be to go rich and chocolaty!! That's right, food in it's pure form is sweeter, better and more decadent than your store bought processed stuff. Just think, English Toffee, fudge, nut brittle, chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate fondue, frozen chocolate bananas, and even chocolate covered rice crackers. There are days when I feel as though I have run out of options because my brain is constantly searching for new ways to look at food. I hope that through my blog, I can not only share recipies that may help you try food in a new way, but help you eat better or motivate you to make some type of change in your life. It is not always about food. Sometimes just reading about new things can help motivate us to make other changes in life. How are you trating yourself lately. Are you eating because you are hungry. Are you eating because you are rushed. Are you making choices because they are better for you or because they are convinient. In learning to re-train myself to slow down a bit and take a second or two more before I put something in my mouth is key to how the rest of my day turns out. When I eat without thought I end up eatiing the wrong things and I pay for it later because I tank out before the day is over. In watching my son through these last few months with all the dietary changes we have made for him, I notice that he not only has energy, but has been able to fight off colds in half the time and his physique is more defined and he is more focused. I truly believe that eating healthy is not only for the body but key to a healthy mind and soul. I challenge you this week to stay away from Fast food. I dare you!!! You might say that it would be a breeze but I think for many of you it will be harder than your thought. We mindlessly drive through and pick up quick food all the time. Since our options have been limited I noticed how much I actually relied on fast food when I couldn't get it anymore. Just try it, as a test for yourself. Did you know that one fast food meal can run you up to 2000 calories!! along with the fact that you are eating the cheapest in ingredients and half is made up of fillers and preservatives. That's what you are feeding your brain. That's how you are suppose to energize your day! Wow!!!! I would love to hear how you did so please let me know or comment on my blog or facebook page and good luck!!!
Now: Today I will give you a great recipe for butter toffee almonds. Almonds are great for your body. Good oils that help the heart, your hair and your skin. Just pop these in your mouth and YUMMMMMMYYYY!!! Enjoy...
******Munchie of the day!!!!
Butter Toffee Almonds.
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
3 tablespoons water
3 cups whole almonds (or use 3 cups peanuts)
Use a deep, heavy-bottomed saucepan to heat all of the ingredients, except the nuts. Stir the mixture constantly to prevent scorching. Using a candy thermometer and medium heat, bring the mixture to 300 degrees. Do not stir. The temperature will rise as the water is boiled off, and this can happen quickly, so be prepared to lower the heat or remove the candy from the heat as needed.
As soon as the mixture reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the stove and add the nuts. Mix until all nuts are coated. Pour the nut mixture onto a greased cookie sheet and separate the nuts.

Enjoy and Eat well.... Rima

No comments:

Post a Comment