Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I Love Bread!!!

Seriously I love bread, Any kind of bread. Just make it warm with butter and cheese and I am good to go. Well if you need to eat like we eat here, the commercial breads won’t do and the other breads that we can have are a bit dense and dry. So, I found a great way to make a fresh loaf of Spelt Bread in the breadmaker that gets golden brown, has a hard crust on the outside and is light and softer on the inside. Now, when I say light..I don’t mean like white bread because these flours are naturally denser when baked but serve warm or toasted it is really good, and you can keep in Ziploc and slice thin for sandwiches. I will slice, toast and slather with butter and cheese and now, white breads don’t stand a chance because this bread is so versatile that you can eat well and not miss out on anything. Make it and let me know what you think! You can make this bread without the breadmaker but it will take longer because you have to knead the bread for 10 minutes and then let it rise for 45 to 1 hour before baking. I hope this will help you enjoy those times when you crave bread like I do. This bread has saved my son’s life because he can take his sandwich to school now!!!!!!


*******MUNCHIE OF THE DAY**********

Spelt bread recipe: Put in bread machine in this order and set on medium white) Make 2 lb loaf:
1 cup warm water (105° to 110° F)
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoons sea salt
3 cups spelt flour
1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast


MUNCH ON THIS::::: It’s the smell of the kitchen that invites people in, and the warmth of your soul that makes them stay.


Enjoy and Eat Well, Rima



*** A reader asked me what spelt was and where is can be purchased: Spelt flour is a flour not made of wheat. It has a bit of a nuttier taste like a good oat bread when toasted but in pancakes etc. is is a bit denser than traditional flour but has more rich flavor. You can buy it at Henry's , Whole foods, Sprouts.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes!! Natalie loves BLT's and next time I'll put avocado:)
    You are an inspiration and I think YOU should be on Food Network with your food allergy recipe show!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can we buy spelt flour locally? And what the heck is it, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spelt flour is aflour but not made of wheat. It has a bit of a nuttier taste like a good oat bread when toasted but in pancakes etc. is is a bit denser than traditional flour but has more rich flavor. You can buy it at Henry's , Whole foods, Sprouts.

    ReplyDelete